In the early 1800’s, a popular Public House existed in Glasgow road directly at the junction with Stonefield Road called “Clive Place”. Although no street was named Clive Place, the pub itself owned the name. This was on the exact spot of the modern day Old Original Bar. The “original” original pub “Clive Place” was a clever play on words being the “livlihood place of the Craigs“. The owner was Mr Thomas Craig, a conservative character who established the pub business around 1832 (noted on a sign on an old photo). The building was modestly made of brick and wood with a small outside lavatory. A water well was located in the garden. Upon exiting the pub, you faced a beautiful plantation of woodland, now where the chapel stands. Clive Place pub was well known throughout the Parish as being one of the best pubs in the area. Around the time only about 3,000 people lived in Blantyre.
As the building served its course throughout the 1800’s, it started to fall into disrepair, until eventually Thomas’s son in at attempt to revitalise it, renovated it moderately in 1882 renaming it “Craigs”. However, the building had really lasted longer than it should have and it took Thomas’s grandson, Mr Robert Craig, who inherited the land and old building to make a more longer lasting decision. In 1902, Glasgow Road was undergoing a massive transition. Electricity was being run into buildings, stone tenements were being constructed all along the road and the little dilapidated pub across from a mighty impressive new chapel, needed some attention. Robert decided to demolish the old pub and constructed a stone building in keeping with the “new stone” buildings of the era. A sandstone building was erected and to proudly announce its arrival and overturn the reputation of the pub location being “tired”, an impressive amount was spent on finishing the facade. In 1903, with the arrival of the trams to Glasgow Road, visitors were able to stop at Stonefield junction at a new pub “The Old Original” named in memory of his grandfather’s popular legacy, the Original Old Pub, Clive Place. Robert immortalised his own name by carving “RC” into the building entrance below the engraved 1903 date, still visible today. Sadly, at present and at over 111 years old, the pub has seen better days and is currently in need of a modern facelift.