Abbott the Plumber – was a successful plumbing business in High Blantyre’s Main Street from the late 1920’s until the 1960’s. Located near Causeystanes on the north side of the street in a small single storey building with a pitched roof. The little garage type building was a workshop and was owned by 2 generations of plumbers the first being Mr. Matthew Abbott who started the business in the late 1920’s.
His wife, Margaret (nee Lindsay) worked in the front office, which was heated by small paraffin stoves. The workshop was at the back. The Abbott’s initially lived at 371 Main Street near Kirkton Cross, but following the demolition of those homes, would later move to the small traditional cottages further down Main Street across from Cemetery Road, next to the Patersons Chemist.
According to the 1930 Valuation roll, their workshop had address 260 Main Street with ground for the workshop at number 262 owned by Matthew Abbott. In 1950, the phone number was Blantyre 21. Matthew Abbott was not only a plumber, but also an electrician and domestic engineer. After the death of Matthew Abbott in 1953, his son took over the business and it eventually relocated to Hamilton. His son during the mid 20th Century also at one time owned an electrical store in the village in East Kilbride.
Researched by Paul Veverka
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c)