Thank you to Gordon Cook who gave me this little booklet by the British Legion (Blantyre Branch). A special little booklet, marking the original opening and unveiling of the Auchentibber War Memorial on 27th May 1923 at 4pm.
What a nice ceremony it must have been too. The Order of Service started with a hymn Psalm 124, then a collection was taken by Rev Thomas A Hugh. MA. A Prayer was then offered by Rev C Scrimgeour Turnbull. MA.
Following another hymn, scriptures were read and prayers offered. Then Lord Belhaven & Stenton gave an address to the crowd.
Further hymns including a lament by pipers and the reading of the names of the Fallen.
The Memorial was then unveiled by Col. W Martin Kay. C.M.G as armed guards presented arms.
A silence was then upheld as placing of the wreaths and flowers on to the memorial took place. Further Prayers, another lament by pipers, then “The Last Post” bugle call and the Reveille.
A choir then sang “Hallelujah Chorus” which was followed by an official handing over of the memorial to the Parish Council, who would from that date be in charge of the upkeep of the memorial.
Acceptance note was read by the Chairman of the Parish Council ,a further hymn, benediction and ending with a rendition of the National Anthem, “God Save the King”.
“Greater Love hath no man than this:
That he lyt down his life for another”
On social media:
“Hugh Graham owned a printers shop in the 1910s until the 1940s at 149 Glasgow Road on the south side. It was located in the lower floor of the Livingstone Masonic Building. In 1925 Hugh paid a rent of £28 per year. The adjacent shops in 1925 were the Commercial Bank at 151 Glasgow Road (which later became Houston’s shop), and also Alexander Whittle Butchers, (which would later become Greenhorn Butchers). Hugh lived at a house called “Craigielea” at 29 Auchinraith Road. Just for you….here’s a photo of Graham’s Printers shop.