This photo was taken in the 1910s or early 1920s. Pictured is the Village Sweet Shop in Mid Row, and in the photo are sisters Miss Margaret Hamilton and her sister Annie.
In 1915, Margaret Hamilton was the young proprietor of houses 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 Mid or Middle Row. The shop was located at number 10 Mid Row, where Annie lived and it also doubled up as a dairy. They probably made many of their sweets although clearly from the window, branded goods were also available. Margaret herself, lived at a house named “Lyndhurst” in Station Road.
According to the 1915 and 1920 valuation rolls Angus McQuarrie also owned a shop next door at number 12 Mid Row, leasing out in 1920 to David Powell, a flesher (butcher).
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c)
With thanks to Gordon Cook for the great photo.