The full detailed story of the church is here
Stonefield Parish Church on Glasgow Road, opened on 18th June 1880 and could seat 900 people. Pictured here 100 years later is the burned out shell of the church, which was ready to be demolished.
On 3rd September 1979, Stonefield Parish Church suffered the fate of many other Blantyre church buildings and was accidentally set on fire. The roof was being restored at the time when a workman left his blowtorch on while he went for his lunch. The building was just 9 months away from its centenary!
At first it was thought that repair would be possible with a new roof, but soon it was discovered that the whole remaining church would need to be demolished as a result of weaknesses in the wall and from the land disturbance caused by mining (the reason why the spire had been removed years earlier).
Despite losing their church building, the congregation remained resilient. During the next 3 years they met in the Livingstone Memorial Church each Sunday afternoon.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c)
On social media: