Airdville – The name of a large semi detached house at Woodburn Avenue, in the highly desirable area near the railway station.
Mr. Donald MacLeay owned it and lived in it from around 1900 right thought until his death in 1923. Afterwards, it passed to his son, Donald Junior. The house is thought to have dated to approximately 1900 and Donald Senior may have been the first resident there, possibly its constructor.
It is sandstone built, one and a half storeys high with dormer windows. The house is very similar to the adjacent house to the east. In 1901 in the census, Donald McLeay was with his wife Margaret and family of 4 children, all born in Blantyre, the eldest being 9 years old. The McLeay family had previously lived at Forrest Street.
Between 1925 an 1930, the house was given address 25 Woodburn Avenue. The house is still there today.
From “Blantyre Explained” by Paul Veverka (c) 2017
On social media: