On Saturday 23rd January 1926, a disastrous midnight fire took hold of a building on Glasgow Road.
The tenement premises occupied by Mr William McManus, provision merchant, 183 Glasgow Road, Blantyre were discovered to be on fire about midnight.
The shop was on fire and difficulty was experienced by the tenants in the houses above the shop in making for the street, owing to the dense smoke. The fire brigade was summoned to find the shop a raging furnace and for a time the houses above were in danger.
Alter a long fight the firemen were able to get the outbreak under control and about two o’clock on the Sunday the flames were fully extinguished. The shop was completely gutted, and the damage was estimated at £600. Insurance covered the rebuild and renovation of the damaged shop and homes.
Pictured on the right in this photo are the buildings in question.
On social media: Shared exclusively with Blantyre Project, (not for use elsewhere):