Glasgow Rd (s8) – Burnbank to Auchinraith

glasgow road

Every Building, every Century. From the book “Blantyre – Glasgow Road, The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2016 – 2018.

Menu: Events | Streets | Glasgow Rd | Medieval Times | Deep History | Modern | Redevelopment | Road Accidents | Fires | Works Village | Livingstone Memorial Centre | Shuttle Row | Childhood | Environment | BPTV | Video

South Submenu: Exploring Burnbank BoundaryBirth to Redevelopment | Burnbank to Auchinraith Rd | Auchinraith Rd to Herbertson St | Herberston St to Church St | Church St to Logan St |  Logan St to Victoria St | Victoria St to Stonefield Rd |  Stonefield Rd to Westend | Westend to Priory Bridge

North Submenu: Burnbank to Whistleberry | Whistleberry to Forrest St | Forrest St to Clark St | Clark St to John St | John St to Alpine St | Alpine St to Greenside St | Greenside St to Station Rd | Station Rd to Mayberry Pl | Mayberry Pl to Coatshill | Coatshill to Priory Bridge | Exploring Spittal Boundary

Page 1 | Page 2 | Page 3 | Page 4 | Page 5 | Page 6 | Page 7 | Page 8 | Page 9

From the illustrated social history book.. research paid for by Paul Veverka

“Blantyre – Glasgow Road, The Real Story” by Paul Veverka (c) 2016 – 2018.

A725 East Kilbride Expressway

   The important infrastructure roadway link in the area is designated the A725, which bypasses Blantyre after crossing over Glasgow Road and takes traffic from the Raith Interchange to East Kilbride. It feeds Blantyre at various sliproads. The section from Whirlies Roundabout to Raith Interchange resulted from the need to provide higher quality routes from Hamilton to East Kilbride and replace the inadequate A776 Stoneymeadow Road from High Blantyre and the B7012 via Bothwell Bridge. It was eventually included within the recommendations of the Greater Glasgow Transportation Study as a proposed dual carriageway link to the M74.

  Five Centuries separate two Bridges at the end of Blantyre, spanning over the Clyde at Bothwell. One is an ancient bridge, designated an ancient monument and steeped in history. The other is the road bridge built over the water when the final section of £12.2m East Kilbride A725 Expressway was built in 1983. The expressway, so vital to commuters today, was constructed in 3 phases.

1) The first stage of the Expressway was built between Crossbasket and the Whirlies roundabout at East Kilbride. You would drive out of High Blantyre on to a fast road. Built in 1966 and 1967, it cost over £600,000 at the time, a lofty sum by comparison to the original budget of £382,000. This section of the Expressway was then and still is named officially as Hamilton Road, with the EK Expressway the official name of the future road that was to be built from High Blantyre to Raith. In January 1967, stories were filtering to the press about escalating costs due to unforeseen ground conditions and behind 2 months late. Councilors spun stories about how the straight, modern road would negate the need of Stoneymeadow Road traffic, returning the Stoneymeadow Road back to having a more rural feel. Mr John Adamson, the county roads engineer released progress updates to the press, staying in January 1967, “Road conditions have been worse than we anticipated” but he would not reveal the escalated cost sum and it was not known until completion. During construction, instances of accidents on Stoneymeadow Road were as frequent as ever and the public in general looked forward to a more modern and direct route to East Kilbride, which avoided the traffic hazard of General’s Bridge. This section eventually opened in April 1967. There is a wide tunnel under the Expressway at High Blantyre. The tunnel permits water coming off the upper Southern slopes of Blantyre to safely travel under the expressway heading back into the Calder on the northern side of the road. Contractor was James, Anderson & King. Designer was Lanark County Council.

1978 EK Expressway 1 wm

1978 Opening of A725 EK Expressway at Auchinraith Junction

2) The second phase was Crossbasket to Auchinraith. This involved removing the pit Bings on Auchinraith Road and at Priestfield, which was done in 1975. It extended the A725 from the present eastbound sliproad at Stoneymeadow Road adjacent to the General’s Bridge, and connected to the roundabout at Auchinraith.

   It opened in October 1978 its cost spiraling hugely due to unexpected land acquisitions. Further construction difficulties saw the road being re-profiled once the project was underway, and costs ended up being £5.2m. The slip roads at High Blantyre at Douglas Street were added in 1994 and 1995. Contractor was Murdoch MacKenzie Ltd. Designer was Strathclyde Regional Council.

EK Expressway

Ek Expressway as it crosses Glasgow Road today

3) During 1983, the final section was constructed from Auchinraith down to the roundabout at Raith, which was particularly expensive due to having to overcome the Bothwell Bridge itself. The expressway crosses over Blantyre’s Glasgow Road next to the Lidl Supermarket at the site of the former Caldwell Hall and Rosendale Place.

   Great care had to be taken around the old Bothwell Bridge protecting it fully as parts of it dated to the 15th century. The Bothwell Bridge was built between 1400 and 1486. According to the expressway architects, evidence of that original bridge is still located within the core of the existing Bothwell Bridge. During the Expressway construction, the contractors were able to dispel a myth that somehow a 5th arch would be under the road approaches. This was not the case and the bridge was confirmed as only having 4 arches. Of course today, the portcullis tower is no longer there either and the bridge was reconstructed in the 1820’s. The Expressway saw a Blantyre wish for better infrastructure be fulfilled that was first mooted a generation before. It was finally completed and opened fully on December 15th 1983 although of course the other sections had been opened for some time before this. The final cost of the whole expressway was around £18 million, which by today’s standards would have cost £52m.

   Councilor Malcolm Waugh of Strathclyde Regional Council upon opening the completed road announced, he had also been personally waiting for that day to happen, which would finally see an end to congestion in Blantyre’s Glasgow Road and Main Street. It was also a historic day for William McAlonan who was one of the design team responsible for producing the huge and massively complex Whirlies Roundabout at East Kilbride. Contractor was Murdoch MacKenzie Ltd. Designer was Strathclyde Regional Council. Today, tall trees line the expressway, both sides actually quite green, something which should look even more impressive in a generations time.

Rosendale Place

   Rosendale Place was a former large 3-storey tenement, situated just off Glasgow Road at the corner of Auchinraith Road, commanding an elevated vantage point above and to the rear of Chamber’s Buildings and Caldwell Buildings. In the 20th Century, across was toad was The Horse Shoe Pub (Kelly’s Bar or Kelly’s Corner Pub).

Rosendale zoned

Rosendale highlighted on our 1936 map

   The building was known as ‘Rosendale Place when first constructed, although after 1905, this was the name of the street in front of the tenements. The property was also known simply as “Rosendale” and from time to time, although not in any census or valuation roll, “Rosendale Terrace.” They would have addresses 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 Rosendale and never have Glasgow Road addresses.

   In 1896, constructor Mr. Adam Kirk bought a portion of land directly behind Chamber’s Buildings from nearby Chamber’s Land owner, Mr. David Gardiner Dunn. David would sell off the rest of the land he owned in that area a few years later to the constructor of the Caldwell Buildings.

   Born in 1853, Adam Kirk was a joiner and not a native of Blantyre. He lived in at 78 North Street, Whiteinch in Renfrew. His construction would surely have been a talking point, for his building was not in a similar style to the rest of the tenements appearing in Glasgow Road due to its use of red sandstone, rather than granite and darker stone. Construction started in 1897 and on the 1898 map, 4 of the 5 tenements were already built, but with no entrance road formed yet. By 1905, the full 5 terraced tenements including shops at the western end had been completed.

   Outdoor toilets were built at the rear of the properties, for each tenement, although in later years some relief from this situation was provided when a couple of the toilets were relocated into the dark closes. Speaking of the closes, the entrances were on the north side of the building, entered from the street for the lower floor only. Access to the upper two levels was to the rear via steep stone steps, so common at the time everywhere else. Rosendale was to have the appearance of being a bold, well built property and offered miners families an excellent place to stay close to Auchinraith and Craighead Pits.

Rsoendale 1971

Rosendale pictured in 1971. Chambers Buildings and Caldwell Buildings demolished

   The imposing height of the three storeys, scale and different design must have made an impressive sight to any traveller coming into Blantyre from the East. However, that would have been short lived for by 1900, Caldwell Buildings obscured most of Rosendale from Glasgow Road. Rosendale was to serve as excellent accommodation for many, many families over the decades.

   The access road, to be named Rosendale Place was to the front of the tenement extending diagonally behind the Caldwell Halls away from Glasgow Road. It was not entered from Auchinraith Road as others may have reported.

Dispelling incorrect facts & myths

   It is previously written incorrectly by ‘ainother that Rosendale was “built in the early 1880’s and erected by David Dale of the Workers’ Village and named after his wife Rose.” This delightful comment would have been such a romantic piece of history, if it were true. Sadly the account of the construction date and of how it was named is entirely wrong. I take the bold step of correcting it here so it doesn’t get perpetuated further. Inaccurate historical accounts require correction, itself a huge motivator for this book. (Sidenote: David Dale died in 1806, some 90 years before the buildings were actually constructed! Additionally, David only married once to his sweetheart Anne Campbell. History records nothing of a ‘Rose’ existing in his family).

   Rosendale was built in 1896 due to the requirement for proper accommodation following the arrival of the coalmining era in Blantyre. It is said, the name ‘Rosendale’ was decided in a local competition held in the newspaper press, with both winner and how it was called to be, now lost, never recorded. One theory is that it was given such a flowery, beautiful name due to the immediate proximity to the drab Craighead miner’s rows across the road and hemmed in on the other side by busy railway lines, bridges, signal posts and junctions.

   The back of the building looked out on spare ground occupied by a blacksmith, Alexander Menzies. Even at its time of construction, Rosendale was squashed in amongst pollution and industry. What better way to celebrate the name of a new building, than a “dale of roses.” This could also have been a reference to Craighead’s gardens not too far off from this location. Or as is more likely, it could simply have been a name owner, Adam Kirk liked.

   In 1901, newspapers told of an outbreak of smallpox at Rosendale, affecting one man in his 30s. The report comments on Rosendale being one of the most fashionable buildings in Blantyre.

Early Ownership, Shops and Tenants

   Adam Kirk rented out every house to local families. Rosendale was divided into 5 tenements. In number 1 were 11 houses, 1 of which was empty in 1905. In number 2, 11 houses, 3 of which were empty. In number 3, 9 houses, 1 of which was empty. In number 4, 10 houses with 2 empty and in number 5, 7 houses. In all there were 47 homes with handy access to the tram network.

   In 1905, Mr. Kirk also owned the shops at number 6,7 and 8. Mrs. Agnes Murdoch was renting the large shops at number 6 and 7. At 8 Rosendale was Antonio Tracendo’s ice cream parlour. Antonio lived in a house nearby. It is known that Mr. Richard Pickering was also a shopkeeper around this time.

   Families living at Rosendale in 1905 included but not limited to Baird, Bryan, Coletta, Colthart, Crawford, Cumming, Davidson, Dent, Dickson, Dixon, Duddy, Dunlop, Elliot, Francenda, Graham, Hanna, Hewlett, Inglis, Kirkpatrick, Law, MacDonald, Mackinlay, Montgomery, More, Murdoch, Nicol, Niven, Park, Paterson, Paul, Penrose, Polland, Pritchard, Reid, Scoullar, Semple, Sneddon, Spence, Stewart, Thomson, Tinning, Tinto, Watters and Young. When you consider each of these families had large families of their own, you can begin to imagine the hundreds of people who would have lived at Rosendale.

   In 1908, Adam Kirk died young aged only 55 at Renfrew. The properties passed to his trustee Thomas Black & Son, of Cambuslang who would continue to lease the homes out to miner’s families. During World War One, all the homes were occupied, but the shops, which had been split into 5 separate shops, were all laying empty, perhaps a casualty of the war years.

   In 1912, Mr. Alexander McDermott of Rosendale was walking his Pomeranian Dog when it was run over an killed by a tram. He attempted to sue the Lanarkshire Tram Company and the case ended up in the small claims court. However, the verdict was, if Mr McDermott was going to be in the habit of keeping an expensive dog, he would have to in future make sure it was kept out of harms way. Alexander left with no compensation.

   In May 1912, Mr. Samuel McDermott of 3 Rosendale was in the habit of betting as a bookmaker illegally hanging around the corner of Auchinraith Road and Glasgow Road junction. However, during mid May, following anonymous tipoffs by letter, three police officers hid behind the shops and awaited for the illegal activity to begin, pouncing out at the right moment and giving chase to Samuel down Rosendale Place. Samuel ran home and locked himself in the house, refusing entry to the officers, who eventually broke the door down, taking him away to the Police Station. He was later fined.

   The ground behind Rosendale was a favourite for bookies. Taking bets on the open air sports ground across the Glasgow Road, and later taking bets on greyhound racing. News stories tell of people being charged for bookmaking illegally even into the 1930’s.

Auchinraith Social Club

   Between 1916 and 1919, the Auchinraith Social Club was formed. A working mans club, especially frequented by miners. The club rented the 5 shops from Thomas Black & Son and knocked them through into the one large premises, the club being attached and on the western end of Rosendale in a part of the building that was one storey with a pitched slate roof. It had address 6 Rosendale. The club, essentially a small hall was situated at the corner of Auchinraith Road and Glasgow Road and was the first building encountered at the foot of Auchinraith Road. Small events and classes were frequent and included Scottish Country Dancing classes, which later moved to the Co-op Halls. Later that Century the club would give up their lease and obtain their own premises further south along Auchinraith Road, nearer to Auchinraith Primary School.

Latter ownership and tenants

   In 1916 Mrs Agnes Downie of 5 Rosendale was going through legal proceedings for custody of her child away from David Greenhorn, a miner from Burnbank.

   War did not escape Rosendale. On 8th December 1917, Lance Corporal Thomas McLean of the Scottish Rifles, died in France.

   Ownership was unchanged until 1922 when Mrs. Annie Imrie Davidson, or Carlton Miller of London acquired Rosendale from Thomas Black & Son, the trustees of Adam Kirk. Houses were rented out for around £6 per annum and she continued to lease out the space for the club. At that time, number 5 was leased out Robert MacManus and Alan Robertson. This was still the same arrangement in 1930.

   In June 1928, James Murray, a miner aged 26, of 12 Sunnyside Terrace, Coatbridge was awarded a parchment for heroism in life saving. On the 1st June 1928, he saved 8 year old Archibald Hutton of 49 Bairds Rows, and John Hogg (8) of 3 Rosendale Place who both fell into the water at the junction of the Calder and the Clyde, whilst trying to catch minnows.

Rosendale Quads

   A rather rare event was talked about for some time after when it became known that a Blantyre woman had given birth to her 4 children, all on the same day. On 9am on Sunday 6th May 1928, the young Blantyre woman, Mrs Flora McLean, wife of miner, who both resided at Rosendale Place gave birth to quadruplets, to four sons in Bellshill Maternity Hospital. Unfortunately though, this story does not end happily. All four were still-born. Mrs McLean was reported by Dr. H. J. Thomson, of Uddingston, who was present, and later advised press who were keen on the story, that the heartbroken mother, was progressing favourably under the circumstances.

   An alarming smash took place on Saturday 16th February 1935 at the junction of Auchinraith Road and Glasgow Road, when a large motor lorry, belonging to lan Fair, Glasgow, and loaded with bricks, and a light motor van owned and driven Mr J. Baird, baker. New Stevenston. came into collision. Both vehicles were travelling towards Hamilton when they collided, the van having come out of Auchinraith Road. They crashed into the telegraph pole. The pole and overhead wires were broken. William Stokes, residing at Rosendale Place, was standing at the pole when the wires fell on him, but escaped injury.

   On 2nd December 1938, Miss Alice Sharpe, aged 12, daughter of Mr. Matthew Sharpe, Rosendale was killed by a heavy motor lorry. The lorry, which was proceeding towards Glasgow on the Glasgow Road, had to be jacked up to release the girl. She died while being conveyed by ambulance to the Royal Infirmary , Glasgow.

   WW2 didn’t start well for one Rosendale resident. Pleading guilty to committing a breach of the peace, Patrick Ward, labourer of 4 Rosendale stated at Hamilton J.P. Court on Saturday 2nd September 1939, that he got into an argument with another man about Hitler. “This other man said Hitler was a good man, and I disagreed with him. I used two or three words, and the police lifted me.” Imposing a fine of 10s on Ward, the presiding Justice said—‘‘You can’t use obscene language in the street, even when talking about Hitler!”

1950 Aerial Rosendale

Rosendale highlighted on 1950 Aerial Photo, Glasgow Road in foreground

1950’s onwards

   At the Queens Coronation day in June 1953, a huge street party took place out the front of the building, in front of opposing Baird’s Rows on the opposite side of Glasgow Road, some of Rosendale tenants attending.

   Rosendale families who latterly lived there in the 1940’s – 1970’s include Barkey, Beaton, Callaghan, Flannigan, Kelly, McCourt, McCue, McIntosh, Rouse, Slaven, Tonner, Walker and Watson.

   Some former residents of the 1950’s -1960’s remember as children local rivalries between Rosendale children and Springwells, which could often end up in fisticuffs, a shame that this happened as Rosendale was a Springwells building too.

1971 Rosendale

1971 Painting of Rosendale, courtesy of Gerry Kelly

Rosendale (A Magic Place when we were young)

   There’s a wonderful poem about Rosendale written in 2004 by former resident, Brian Cummiskey. It was Brian’s first poem with the late James Cornfield adding some old Scots.

Ah’ remember the tenement called Rosendale,
In Blantir took fae whence ah’ hail,
An ancient place, a bit o’ a dive,
But somehow magical, when yur only five.

Ah’ remember ma pals an’ thur cheeky wee faces,
Thur wee short troosers held up wae braces,
Playin’ outside was always a must;
Kickin’ a baw in the stoor an’ the dust.

Ah’ remember the outside toilet wae dread,
Is it any wunner we peed the bed?
Tae go doon there made me awfy unhappy,
Thir wur times ah’ wished, ah’ still wore a nappy.

Ah’ remember the close wae hardly a light,
The ghosts oan the stairs that gave ye a fright,
An gaun tae bed when the time wis just right,
Tae wait fur the Daleks, that came in the night.

Ah’ remember ma da’ wae his jet-black hair,
Young an ‘ handsome an’ fu o’ flair,
A Blantir Dandy some wid say,
But a gentleman always, come what may.

Ah’ remember ma mother, a young Snow White,
Always there tae make things right,
Tender, lovin’ an fu o’ care,
Wae a heart fu’ o’ love, for us tae share.

The family remembers those childhood days,
In auld Rosendale in oor different ways,
An’ as we remember, happy or sad,
We’ll always be grateful, tae oor mum and dad.

   Brian wrote the poem for his father’s 70th birthday noting that the ghost on the stair was allegedly seen by his father and remembering the Daleks of Dr Who kid’s TV programme, where a lifesize replica of one adorned the Co-op windows nearby.

Blantyre Project Social Media:

Gerry Walker: “I was born there in 1960 before moving to Craigton Pl a few years later. Outdoor toilets and a big sink as a bath. Plenty off room out the back to play though.”

David McIntosh: “I was born in no. 3 Rosendale Place in 1942. I remember the Queens Coronation party in 1953, it was held out in the street in front of the building. I’m sure everyone who lived in the building was there.”

Susan Walker Graham: “I remember going round the back of the pub on the corner and removing the beer bottle lids that used to have cork on the inside. We would make badges with them!”

   In post WW2 years, the building was acquired by the District Council, and similar to other buildings in Springwell, little was spent to maintain it. With Chambers Buildings demolished in 1959 and Caldwell Buildings in the mid 1960’s, by the end of the 60’s Rosendale was sitting alone on that ground, its frontage now on Glasgow Road. It had fallen into disrepair and was in need of modernization.

Resident’s Complain and pursue re-housing

   In February 1968, residents of Rosendale Building went to the County Buildings in Hamilton to complain about the state of the housing block and the delay in getting them re-housed. Mothers of young children complained that the chimneys were ready to fall, there were no toilets in many apartments, rain was leaking into the rooms and a tarpaulin protected part of the roof. The building was probably badly damaged during the January hurricane of the earlier month. Quite a number of buildings were damaged that night around Blantyre.

1968 Rosendale people

1968 Rosendale Residents march to the council demanding rehousing

   The complaints were upheld and people slowly but surely started to be re-housed from late 1968. Many residents left for the new housing built at Burnbrae and High Blantyre.

   By the mid 1970’s, Rosendale was scheduled for demolition. It was demolished by 1976, before the opposite building at Kelly’s corner, an early casualty of Glasgow Road redevelopment. Like Chamber’s Buildings, it had existed for 80 years.

   It has been said that Rosendale was once where Gavin Watson Printers (formerly JR Reid Printers) now is. That is incorrect, as Rosendale was exactly where the A725 carriageway is now and partially on what is now woodland between the A725 and the Low Blantyre slipway.

   Nearby to its former location, a modern street to a small industrial area, named Rosendale Way is a nod to the buildings existence.

Auchinraith Fairground

1950 Fairground

1950 Aerial Photo of Auchinraith Fairground behind Rosendale

   Small travelling fairs are known to have visited Low Blantyre since the 1890’s. Initially, simple games and booths for boxing matches, the fair arrived at Springwells on an annual basis, but was displaced from the ground in the mid 1920’s, with the creation of the greyhound track.

   A spare plot was utilized across the Glasgow Road on the south side, behind the Rosendale tenement and with the arrival of mechanized rides, quickly became an established, welcomed attraction for local children.

   The location was ideal, on vacant ground near the Smithy at Auchinraith Road. In the shadow of the signal box, a small pedestrian crossing over the railway led Springwells families straight down into the fair. Centrally located, this site was ideal for families coming from all directions.

   The fairground, often called “the shows” was set up in Blantyre each Springtime. Travelling families like Laurences, Dan Taylor’s and Irvin’s are all known to have brought fairs to Blantyre in the 20th Century. Children took delight in going on rides such as “The Whip”, “The Steam Yachts” and “Carousel” as well as playing a variety of fun games on several stalls. It was inexpensive and affordable to most working families. A real treat.

   The fair visited this location right up until the late 1970’s. Today the exact site is the carriageway of the A725 East Kilbride Expressway.

Continued on Page 9

Copyright notice: All articles may be printed off for offline use copyright free. Where any of these images and words are intended to be published online or in books, please contact me first for permission. Due to continued copyright theft of uncredited research from this website, these words or any form of them (or comments provided to this website from its readers) are strictly not permitted for any kind of use by Mr. Bill Sim under penalty of further legal proceedings. These are Blantyre Project words and are not permitted in any form or derivative to appear on other websites or books.